BEL Contracting, part of NorLand Limited offers rewarding careers to skilled, reliable and motivated individuals who enjoy meeting new challenges and taking a hands-on approach while working independently or alongside other experienced professionals. BEL Contracting offers training, mentoring and professional development for every employee and supports opportunities for their growth and advancement.
BEL Contracting is seeking a full-time Environmental Coordinator for the Highway 91/7 Upgrade Project located in Delta, BC.
Reporting to the Environmental Manager, the Environmental Coordinator will perform monitoring and reporting duties associated with the Construction Environmental Management Plan and all relevant permits.
In addition, the Environmental Coordinator will be responsible for assisting in preparing guidance documents to safeguard water, air, and land quality and ensure the protection of wildlife and wildlife habitat during all construction activities. The Environmental coordinator will work closely with the operations teams tasked to install environmental controls and mitigation measures.
- Work with operations team to develop environmental work plans for various scopes of work
- Implement control measures to mitigate the impact to environmental values resulting from construction activities
- Track environmental performance including water quality, air quality, wildlife observations, fuel use, waste generated, etc.
- Maintain a full understanding of the environmental requirements, including necessary permits and authorizations, Best Management Practices, and the requirements of the Environmental Management Plan and Environmental Work Plans. Work with operations management and staff to ensure compliance with these plans
- Review weekly environmental audit reports prepared by the consultants and submit to the owner for review
Perform daily monitoring of construction works including, but not limited to the following:
- Checking functionality of erosion and sediment control measures
- Water Quality Monitoring
- Noise Monitoring
- Air Quality Monitoring
- Checking spill kits and spill trays
- Providing guidance on spill cleanup activities
- Roadway inspections to ensure dirt is not being tracked away from site
- Ensuring site is kept organized and clean
- Inspecting waste management including hazardous waste
- Vegetation management. Ex. Japanese knotweed
- Protection of Archaeology Sites
- Fish and wildlife habitat management. Ex. ensuing salvages have been complete prior to work
- Tracking and ensuring any issues are managed accordingly and opportunities for improvement are identified and communicated
- Preparing daily monitoring reports
- Post-Secondary education in Biological Sciences or Environmental Engineering or Diploma in Environmental Technology
- RP Bio (Registered Professional Biologist) or able to obtain that designation an asset
- 2-5 years of experience in the delivery/management of an environmental compliance program
- Experience in the construction industry will be an asset
- Experience in developing, implementing, monitoring, and tracking environmental practices and performance
- Knowledge of environmental legislation in British Columbia
- Knowledge of construction site erosion and sediment controls and Best Management Practices
- Ability to work nightshift as required
BEL Contracting and NorLand Limited are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in our recruitment and hiring practices